A little of me...

My photo
Tottenham, North London, London, United Kingdom

Wednesday 17 August 2011

John Bull Magazine Covers.

I recently found a huge collection of these on line. I can't remember the site though, sorry. John Bull Magazine was a weekly periodical magazine that ran between the years of 1820 to 1964. I think they're stunning. For someone like me who is a sucker for colour and good draughtsmanship, these covers are a real revelation. I suppose one of the things that really appeals to me is the fact that whilst different artists were used for various covers, they always seem to track not so much the development of the British landscape in the 20th century but instead the British public's perception of itself. There are wholesome depictions of model, modern families, imperious images of London and glittering yuletide scenes. It is perhaps an Britain that never did exist rather than the ideal that certainly does in the national sub-conscious. This can be seen every Christmas on T.V sets with the annual John Lewis, moving John Bull front cover advertisements of free-range chickens happily running round in an Oxfordshire or Wiltshire field.

Photobucket Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Them Lot